We seriously LOVE this soup! This is a Rachael Ray version of this soup but it is so easy and YUMMY! I thought I would post it here for everyone to use. Since we can't find chourico here I use turkey Italian sausage and it comes out just fine! And I actually change it to half beef broth, half chicken broth.
* 2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
* 3 medium white waxy potatoes, like yukon golds, peeled and diced
* 2 medium onions, chopped
* 4 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped
* 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
* 1 pound kale, coarsely chopped
* Coarse salt and pepper
* 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzos (chick peas), drained and rinsed
* 1 can diced tomatoes
* 1 pound diced chourico, casing removed
* 1 quart chicken broth
* Warm, crusty bread
Heat oil in a deep pot over medium high heat. Add potatoes and onions, cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add garlic, bay leaves, and kale to the pot. Cover pot and wilt greens 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add beans, tomatoes, chourico, and broth to the pot and bring soup to a full boil. Reduce heat back to medium and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Serve soup with hunks of crusty bread and butter.