Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Savory Bean and Spinach Soup

Okay, I know some of you are thinking, "What is she doing over there in her kitchen?" but I am seriously trying to cook twice a week with my crockpot when things get crazy for me and I have been trying some new recipes that sound not only yummy, but healthy. This recipe was GREAT! My kids had lunchables because we made a deal earlier this year about Tuesday nights and gymnastics. But I had some with a small baguette and it was really very filling and delicious.

INGREDIENTS:
3 14 oz cans of vegetable broth
1 15 oz can tomato puree
1 15 oz can small white beans or great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 C uncooked brown rice
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 garlic cloves, chopped
8 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach or kale leaves
Finely shredded Parmesan cheese

1. In a crockpot, combine everything but the spinach and Parmesan.
2. Cover and cook on low - 5 to 7 hours, or on high for 2.5 to 3.5 hours.
3. Just before serving, stir in spinach or kale and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

No comments: