Monday, March 16, 2009

My newest addiction-- Pumpkin Soup!

Every time we go to a new country we have to adjust our eating according to what is available-- both to buy, and what we have in our new kitchen. This recipe is very simple, and since everything is pureed even a baby can eat it. Cora loves it.

Pumpkin, Carrot & Coconut soup:
1 pie pumpkin (3-4 lbs)
1 small to medium red onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
4 carrots, chopped
1 can coconut milk (or cream-- the stuff we have here in spain has a lot of solids in it--about half the can. I don't know what they would call it in the states)
Chicken base to taste (I usually put in enough for 3 quarts of water, but go by taste since you don't want to ruin it by over doing it!)
Water

To prepare the pumpkin there is the easier way that takes longer, or the quick way that is harder to do: you can either jab it a few times with a knife and cook it whole in the oven until it is soft, then scoop the cooked pumpkin out, or cut it up while raw into chunks and boil it in the soup until soft.

Put all the ingredients except the coconut milk into a pot. Add enough water to cover all of the veggies and let boil until carrots and pumpkin are soft (about 15 minutes). Pureè everything. I use a hand blender that I can just put into the pot and turn it on. The soup should be VERY thick right now, and you want to turn the heat off so it doesn't send splashes of boiling pumpkin mixture everywhere! I then open my can of Coconut Milk, pour in and stir. Serve with crusty bread.

Note: I often double this recipe, and use one pumpkin & one butternut squash. It is a nice blend, but I have made it just with butternut also when pumpkin wasn't available at the store.

I hope you enjoy. We sure do!

No comments: