* 12 slices white sandwich bread
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
* 2 packages (1 pound each) smoked Polish sausage, halved lengthwise, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
* 2 large onions, chopped
* 8 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1/2 cup tomato paste
* 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 1 cup dry red wine
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 4 cans (14.5 ounces each) Great Northern or cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
1. In a food processor, pulse bread until large crumbs form (you should have about 6 cups); season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a 6-quart heavy-bottom saucepan, cook sausage, onions, and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and sausage is starting to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste, broth, wine, thyme, and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; add beans. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened but still soupy, about 10 minutes.
4. Stir in 2 cups of the breadcrumbs. Divide sausage mixture between two 3-quart shallow baking dishes or eight 10-ounce ramekins. Top with remaining breadcrumbs.
5. Bake, on a baking sheet, until topping is golden, 30 minutes.